Sunday, May 4, 2008

mmm....Room Air

Yesterday we arrived to the NICU to find that Taft was Oxygen free. He was rid of the nasal cannula and breathing true room air. Dr. Raval said that if his saturations stayed up then he could come home tomorrow (Monday). What sweet music to our ears. He will be coming home on some medicine (a mild diuretic) to continue to excrete fluid, but I am up for the challenge of dispensing a medication, or at least I am ignorant enough about motherhood that I think I am ready! His lungs are still somewhat inflamed and so I will not be taking him places for a while just to make sure he isn't subjected to too many things. My understanding is that he is more susceptible to RSV and other upper respiratory infections for a little while, so if you see us and I bluntly ask you to bathe is purell, wash your hands and/or other requests that might seem unreasonable it is the mother hen in me that is protecting her chick. It is funny the things that you start to decide you are not going to do and what you don't want others to do...for example, NO kissing his mouth or hands. Sounds awfully restrictive, huh? Well, his mouth to other people's mouths...well, since I work in the oral field I have seen way too much to want anyone kissing my child on the mouth...family or not! And, the reason for the hands? Because he loves his hands in his mouth already and that defeats the whole purpose of not kissing him on the mouth to begin with...I officially realize that I am a crazy new mom and I am so okay with it!:) For those of you expecting pictures with this post....I will post again after church okay!? He is even cuter without the nasal cannula...Stay tuned....

5 comments:

Kim Simpson said...

Even with the fourth (if you have that many) you will still be crazy about germs and people touching and kissing all over them. The problem is that while you are dealing with other kids people do it anyways, and now you have dealt with sick kids and know how really not fun it is and I think quite possible become even more of a germaphobe but you;re just to tired to really do anything about it. BTW, almost went to the hospital yesterday, then the contractions slowed down and didn't hurt as much, and this morning I awake to the wonderful feeling of not being able to breathe again. I am done! Done done!!!!

Melissa said...

Well since Taft has more chances of contracting RSV I completely understand your reservations. I'm glad he's getting to come home tomorrow. I know you're ready. You'll do fine giving him the lasix.

Brandon and Cari (Sellers) Murdock said...

That is such good news! We are still praying for him and y'all and really hope that he gets to come home tomorrow.

Laurie Huish said...

We were the same way with Michael, and will be with this new baby! I am a bit more relaxed about it, though Michael (husband) could not understand why every woman (And some men) would want to kiss all over our kid! I think it is a southern thing. When we went to Utah no-one but family even wanted to hold him much less kiss him!

Hall Family said...

You go girl! You're absolutely right about the germs (and that goes for even a healthy baby). I think now a days people think that even at a newborns age, the more they're exposed, the better their immune system...I say: Pish Posh. I had to take Kason into the E.R. at the Childrens HOspital back in SL...and they had tried 4 times to give him a spinal tap (along with other tests), to see what was wrong with him. he was a little less than 3 months. IT was absolutely the WORST thing I have ever been through with a baby that little! So you have every right to set boundaries! :) I'm happy that Taft will be coming home soon!! yay!!!