Friday, May 9, 2008

Home At Last.....

Taft made it home yesterday afternoon! He was discharged with an apnea monitor to help us know if his lungs are functioning to a high enough capacity. Last night was a night with no alarms. I realized for the first time what pure exhaustion is from the night before. The neonatologist required that I room in with Taft one night before he came home. I stayed at the hospital in a L& D room with Taft in his crib next to me. He was hooked up to the hospital monitors and the apnea monitor that I was going to bring him home with. Well, the hospital monitor for whatever reason kept going off saying that his heart rate was really low or non existent. But, his oxygen saturation and respirations were great! It was so strange, and I probably don't have to say that it woke me up every time it went off. I think 15 minutes was the most amount of sleep I got consecutively that night and not just because of the alarms. I didn't pump before I came to the hospital thinking that I would nurse him when I got there, but the nurse had fed him just about 45 min. or so before, so needless to say without my pump there I got so engorged I couldn't get comfortable at all. WOW...I would have never guessed a few hours would make someone so miserable. Last night was good though, because I got like 4 1/2 hours of sleep between feedings one time. YEA! Well, I know I am supposed to sleep when he does, so I am off for a nap, but I wanted you all to know that we appreciate your prayers on his behalf and the love, concern and support you all have given and give you an update on his progress.

4 comments:

kirhart said...

Welcome home little Taft! What a blessing. We knew you could do it. Now go easy on Mommy and Daddy (especially Mom) with the sleep deprivation!

Brandon and Cari (Sellers) Murdock said...

Congratulations! We are so happy Taft made it home!!

Hall Family said...

YAY!! I'm so excited he's home with you!!! :) I do hope that the sleep situation works out better for you ;)

Damon, Jodie & Jay Wright said...

Congrats!!! Taft is home! And what a Mother's Day gift to have him there with you! I hope that you enjoyed your first Mother's Day! We look forward to meeting him when you are ready for visitors! Love you all!