Tuesday, June 17, 2008

It's been 8 & I'm out of Shape

Ok, so Taft is officially 8 weeks old today, and I started my "let's get back into the favorite pair of pre-pregnancy shorts" exercise routine. I put on my ear phones, the running shoes and headed out the door. I returned about 15 - 20 minutes later out of breath, ridiculously red in the face and wondering if it would be worse tomorrow. I think I might have ended up running somewhere around a mile and a half. This morning I decided that I would work through the soreness, because of course there is soreness and attempt another run. I put on the ear phones, running shoes and left the "boys" still in bed (7:30 am) instead of 9:00 am. And the verdict is back....what a difference an hour and a half makes in the temperature, the amount of shade and my ability to talk myself through another day. I know...a mile and a half is peanuts for most people even when they are out of shape...at least it had been for me in the past, but for some reason after almost a year of no formal exercise and pushing a seven plus lb. baby out of you seems to be the deal clincher. Next time I will be better prepared...
Now onto Taft...he seems to be getting settled into a routine, but occasionally has a bad night or day. Yesterday was one of those bad days, where he just couldn't seem to get happy. But, we managed and he had a pretty decent night, so we will go from there. He sees the Pedi on the 27th and I am hoping that we might get to add some rice cereal or something of the sorts to his Breast milk, so that he will sleep longer. We tend to still want to wake up at 2 or 3 and then again at 5 or 6. Which is not too bad because he will make for a great alarm when I go back to work, but I could sure stand to have him sleep from 11 until 5 or 6. I might have unreal expectations, but I hear other family and friends talk about their baby sleeping through the night and I get so jealous! well, the Hartman family camp out is this weekend, so be ready for a good slide show, with lots of cousins, grandparents, great grandparents and such. Until then.....

6 comments:

Hall Family said...

I'm weaker than you! (i usually die getting to a mile...) and i'm not even pregnant. I do blame my kiddos though ;) haha j/k (hope that makes you feel better ;) hehe)

Kim Simpson said...

holy crap T. I can't believe you are running. Running down my street would do me in just about anytime in my life. From the pics I'd say you look good for only 8 weeks. i hope taft starts sleeping longer for you. here is my rule of thumb, and so far my kids have managed to stay alive. I was told by a pediatrician that once a baby reaches 11 lbs and is around 8 to 10 weeks you can drop the middle of the night feeding. Some Dr's still say to feed on demand so I guess you have to kind of decided for yourself but I say sleep for you is better for the both of you. I always went by weight and if the baby was waking up at the same time each night, then they were doing it out of habit and not hunger. I waited for the week-end and then dropped the feeding. It usually takes 2-3 days to break a habit for a baby. maybe ask the dr on the 27th what he thinks. hopefully you will being leaving that appt without the monitor!

Megan said...

You are awesome! You don't even look like you had a baby at all. I usually drop a few in the beginning, hold on to most while nursing. And drop most after the year mark. Weird. I agree with your sister in law. Once 11 pounds hits they should be ok to sleep. I always skip the before bedtime nursing and give a nice warm formula bottle ( I am the worst breast feeder). For some reason the formula always sustained them longer. Then you can pump that feeding and have an extra bottle for when you go out and can't be there to feed him. I always hate giving rice cereal. It takes forever! I was pumped to give it to Anna for about the 1st week. Hope you don't think I am to crazy. Love ya!

Alisa said...

I agree with the others. Drop the middle of the night feeding, and formula does last longer than breast milk, so a bottle right before bed may not be a bad idea. I usually let them nurse to relieve some pressure, then gave them about 2 oz of formula. Also, make sure he is not sleeping with you. Kenadie woke up several times in the middle of the night until we put her in her own bed...she and I both slept so much better! And good heavens...I am so envious you can run that long!

Melissa said...

Way to go T!! Hope it all works out for ya. Since my kid is still cooking I can't give any advice on the feeding thing. I'm so excited for more pictures from you weekend. I sure love Taft. He's a sweet baby.

Holli said...

It's been 3 (years) and I'm out of shape.

I'd love to know more about how you stay fit! I'm still trying to work off the baby weight - if it can even be called that anymore.