Thursday, August 28, 2008

Stories now....Pictures Later

So, yesterday was Taft's 4 month check up with Dr. Worley. He is apparently not having any problems in the growth area as he weighs in at 16 lbs. & 10 oz. He is also now 26.5 inches long. He is getting to be lots of fun. On the 23rd of August he rolled over for the first time at Grandma & Grandpa Simpson's house while I was running to town to return a movie rental and Daddy was laid up in bed after his surgery. He is now rolling over pretty regularly and steady. I have created a little play area for him in the living room with some toys and he sure enjoys it, but you eventually get to hear the frustration of a baby trying to discover his new world. No one could have made me grasp the idea & excitement of watching your own child learn and discover life. Taft is grabbing at things including my hair and necklaces (I don't wear these very often). He has a rattle that he loves and it is just perfect for his hands to grab and it is not obnoxious when it rattles. He is starting to get more vocal and loves to stand up in your lap if you are holding him. He is also learning to fight sleep. For some strange reason just in the last few days he has had a hard time getting settled in for his afternoon siesta. I think he may have just gotten over stimulated. Yesterday Taft & I also got to see a very special friend of ours that I haven't seen since January. Dr. McCardell (one of my bosses) was diagnosed with a malignant, aggressive brain tumor early January and I haven't seen him since. He is a wonderful man, a great dentist and I have missed seeing him at the office. His daughter in law Tina brought him to Casa Ole in Beaumont yesterday so Taft & I met them and a whole host of people for lunch. He looks great and I will post a pic of him with some others later. Doc got to hold him and snuggle him for a while and I think it was neat to see him in that realm. Doc is a very generous and kind man and I am so thankful that we got to visit him for a few minutes yesterday. And lastly....some of the best news ever! Taft spent his first night in his own crib...he went to sleep at 8:30, woke up for a tide me over feeding at 10:40 and went right back to sleep until 7:30! YEAAA!!! I couldn't believe it. I probably woke up to check on him about 3 or 4 times, but he was very content in his own space! So here is to a more restful sleep without my kid kicking me in the throat, the chest and the gut!

4 comments:

Holli said...

Hooray for growth. I loved when Gabi was an infant and everyday she did something new. Good job, Taft - ya little chunker.

Kim Simpson said...

Yeah Taft!!!! Good job on the sleep. If you would like a preview of the gut kicking, head punching, knee in the stomach sleep that awaits you when he is a toddler I will be more than happy to lend you mackenzie's services at christmas. Can't wait to see everyone and finally get to meet Taft!! I am sure he will be so big when we get there.

Melissa said...

Can't wait to pinch his cheeks and legs when y'all come. congrats on the 11 hours of sleep. Awesome. Maybe Grant will give me that for Christmas.

kirhart said...

Wow, I didn't realize he slept that long. He's crossing those milestones fast. Maybe he decided to give Erk some restful sleep for his birthday!