Thursday, December 4, 2008

Two posts in one day....

I know what you are thinking...slow down Teresa...not too much at a time. But, I can't resist. Tonight Taft and I attended Eric's basketball games. He is coaching the 8th grade basketball team, so tonight we attended their 1st game of the season. I enjoyed myself and Taft enjoyed it, too, but it is inevitable...someone is going to complain the whole game and ruin it. So, here is how it played out...

The game was rough. The kids didn't play as well as they needed to in order to win. They threw the ball away, didn't rebound never followed their shot, and fouled a fair amount. Anyway, as I was sitting in the stands I was priviledged to some conversation that might not have been meant for me to hear. But, I couldn't resist listening after the 1st comment was made by a lady regarding the coach. She simply stated that all they did in practice was shoot 3 pointers so that is why they weren't doing well in the other areas(Paraphrased). I simply thought to myself...don't take it personal...she doesn't know you are the coaches wife. My natural insticts were to let her have it, but I kept quiet interested to see if she would say anything else about "the coach." Sure enough a few minutes later a man makes a comment that he didn't understand why the kids weren't looking behind them to see what was going on elsewhere on the court. So madam talks a lot pipes in and says, "It's because of that young man over there." Since I was sitting in front of her and didn't see her point to Eric, I told myself to calm down and let it go, because I didn't know for sure if she really was talking about Eric. BUt, now I am definitely interested in what she will say next, so I am now paying close attention to her conversation that she is not whispering. So, later on the same gentleman states again that he didn't know the Spanish teacher was the coach. He met him in the office today and he(Eric) introduced himself and informed the man that he was his daughter's spanish teacher and she was a good kid. It made me proud that Eric is always so positive with parents and that he genuinely cares that his students learn more than just spanish. Well, my pride bubble was quickly bursted when the other lady said. "Well this is what we get for having a spanish teacher for a coach...I wonder if he can even speak spanish." Well, this girl had had all she could take and this was it....So, I simply turn around and say, "Actually he can speak spanish. And what do you expect from him when the town has no little dribblers program and this is some of the kids first experience playing basketball?" I said it without attitude, but with sincere hurt in my voice. I am not sure if she picked up on the fact that she was ripping apart the coach right in front of his wife, but she didn't say anything else about him.

I am not sure if I handled this the best way, but let me just say that I did a lot better than I could have, because part of me was ready to give her "the look" and wave the finger as I told her to shut her mouth until she actually knew what she was talking about.

So, here is to my wonderful husband Eric who has a gift with kids and a way with optimism and kindness...I can't think of a better person to be a teacher/coach than a man who is full of kindness, love, patience and optimism. You are amazing and I love you!

9 comments:

Kim Simpson said...

T, I am proud. That woman didn't really deserve how nice you were to her in what you said. I am glad you did say something though. Those kids are lucky to have Eric for a teacher and a coach. I know my kids are very excited to see him and everyone else. Although he does do the best spinning tricks.

Hall Family said...

wow you were so good! I can really truly imagine how you felt! It seems I was there before, but for some reason I can't recall the situation. Interesting. Anyway, Good for you! I mean to speak up but not to choose your second option (wagging the finger and yelling at her and all that *wink*) You did great :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am so glad you stood up for your hubby you are better than i, i would've ripped into her. Good for you!!

Melissa said...

Way to hold your tongue. I'd have gone off on her. We can't wait to see y'all in two weeks!

Simpson family said...

Yo, I do think Eric is always positive with the young people and he does know how to relate with them and at the same time earn their respect without trying to be one of them. That is a true talent. I'm glad T that you were able to maintain a mature attitude about the unkind things said about Eric. Though certainly undeserved, they nonetheless were spoken and nothing will become of any rebuttal except to further inflame a situation. Sometimes it is just best to leave things alone. The Savior gave us the perfect example.
Dad

The Battisti Family said...

That is funny!! I bet that lady felt so stupid! You did great...a lot better than most! It's funny how people talking negatively about your husband (and I can only imagine your kids) can really get you boiling! I remember Derek was playing hockey for BYU and one of the fans on the opposing team was talking smack about him and I totally let him have it and let him know that he was my husband! I couldn't resist...and he didn't say another word. I think it's good to stand up for yourself and your family in a respectable way:) Good for you!

Damon and Jodie said...

Way to go Ter-Dawg! I would have lost it A LOT sooner then you! And you really didn't even loose it! Very impressive! Way to practice for when comething is said about your child. Gets even tougher! I am very proud of how you handled it!

Tabatha said...

You did great T!! Being a soccer coaches wife for a number of years now I've developed a thick skin and have learned a few things. In situations where the parents didn't already know me, I've found that introducing myself to those sitting around me right away has been the easiest route. They warm up to you quick! Also, the parents really welcome the opportunity to get to know you and their coach on a more personal level. I really couldn't care less to know them but it seems to make for a smoother ride when they have an understanding of the coaches background, coaching philosophy, etc. Unfortunately "coaches wife" carries its own job description.

Holli said...

Wow. This story just goes to show you that you never know how your comments can hurt those around you. She probably wouldn't have spoken that way if she'd have known you were Eric's wife... then again, she might have. Some people are just rude like that.

I say, good for you for sticking up for your husband. It will get the word around that you - and Eric - deserve respect.