Wednesday, March 11, 2009

To answer your Questions...

Yes, we are okay. At first I was starting to let it get to me, but I seem to be coping better. One cruddy night's sleep with Taft in bed with us and we decided to hook the baby monitor back up and put him across the house again. My mother hen instincts kicked in the first night and I wanted my men close to me. Yes, they took some important things, but in the end all of it was just stuff. They took our computer, dsl modem, my i pod, the armband for my i pod, an x box, 5 guns, two dvd players, an air compressor, and angle grinder, some bolt cutters, at least one but maybe two digital converter boxes, some costume jewelry, $16.52 in change with the digital coin counter, a chainsaw, and maybe some other things I can't think of off the top of my head. They came in through our back door which was locked and they left out the front door which was also locked. They busted the lock on the back door and that is how they got in. We are fanatical about locking up our house, even when we are there. We are very fortunate that we were not home nor that we came home in the middle of it. That could have proved to be a very bad situation. They didn't make a huge mess either. They only broke one picture frame and the back door, but they in no form or fashion ransacked the house. They took what they wanted and got the heck out of dodge. We definitely feel a huge sense of violation, but we are going to take some measures to help prevent being such an easy target next time. My biggest piece of advice...write down your serial #s, take picture and know what kinds of things might be valuable to a thief. Electronics, tools, jewelry, cash, and guns. Keep your list in a safe spot and don't ever think it won't happen to YOU!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks. I wish I could just go to the thieves house and take all THEIR stuff and see how they like it. I hope they get caught. I was reading in Readers Digest about this study a college is doing that tracks your computer where ever it is. So if it is stolen you'll know who took it. And it's free I think. Let me know if you want me to get you the info.

Jackie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your robbery. You always think it will never happen, but once it does you begin to notice it all around you. It seems that almost everyone I know has had this happen at some time or another including me and Nate. In fact we have been robbed more than once. There is some speculation about why certain people are targeted, but right now I think the economic down turn has made some people desperate. I know it is cliche to blame the economy, but hey if the shoe fits...

Hartmans said...

I think that the economy could definitely be playing a part in it, but we also are a relatively easy target. We are working hard to change that!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!! I hope everything feels back to normal soon! I am so sorry guys, but that is a peace of mind that you guys weren't there when it happened. It is so sad what people in the world will resort to...