Saturday, February 28, 2009

Excellent Entertainment

So, I am up here in Dallas with my sister's family visiting for the weekend. Her husband sings in a barber shop group that has won 11 gold medals at competition the last 11 times that they have competed (if this is wrong, but it is pretty darn close). Anyway, they had a performance last night in conjunction with one of the area high schools so we went to watch. WOW! I knew they were good, because I have heard their CDs and what not, but seriously the show was great. I particularly enjoyed the patriotic medleys and songs about our country (i.e God Bless America, Stars & stripes Forever, and America the Beautiful). The arrangements were great, the singers phenomenal, but the reminder that in the time of distress and uncertainty music has a way of calming and reassuring me that life is but a moment and that American pride and patriotism is something that I value and cannot imagine life without. I feel so blessed that even in times of worry, doubt and distrust that I still am way better off in this country that many others. America is still the land of the FREE and for that I am so very thankful. It was so neat to watch people be applauded from each branch of the military as The Vocal Majority sang their branch's song in the Military Branch medley. Those who had served or were related to those serving/served were asked to stand during their branch's song. Those people received a well deserved round of applause and thanks. I have to say though that as the audience began to stand to let each other know that they were proud to be an American it was a neat feeling to be surrounded by grateful and proud human beings. The point is great entertainment doesn't always serve a purpose and last night mine did. If you get a chance to hear then I highly recommend going to see The Vocal Majority. They will definitely give you your money's worth!

2 comments:

Hall Family said...

It sounds like you had a great time! And now, thanks I'm feeling quite the traitor...but I guess you'll have to read my blog to find out...as soon as I post. :)

Hartmans said...

Sarah-
For some reason i haven't been able to access your blog. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I know you are private right? I can't get it it let me go to where I need to sign in. Let me know what I can do so I am finally check out what is going on with your family. Oh, and my cousin in engaged to a girl from Waller. Crazy, huh? Her name is Olivia.